The Martha Graham Dance Company is hosting a “Show Us Your Graham” challenge on Instagram. For this challenge, all you have to do is reinterpret one of Graham’s 19 poses into an everyday task. Then, post your creation to social media with hashtags: #19poses and #marthagraham and tag a woman who inspires you.
Martha Graham’s 19 Poses
The 19 Poses are a part of the EVE Project, and are intended to honor Suffragettes and illuminate Martha Graham’s powerful representations of women in performances.
The Official Contest Guidelines
- Find a creative, unexpected way to use one of the 19 Poses to perform an everyday task
- Take your photo in an everyday setting (grocery store, subway, backyard, cafeteria, dog park – anywhere but a dance studio!)
- Get creative! Use props, other people, and incorporate your surroundings into the pose
- Hashtag #19Poses and #marthagraham
- Tag a woman (or women) who inspires you!
What You Could Win
The top submissions will be shared to the @marthagrahamdance Instagram account and 5 favorites will receive a gift bag full of Graham merchandise.
The contest will be open until August 18, 2020 (which just happens to be the 100th anniversary of the 19th Amendment and women’s right to vote!). So you’ve got plenty of time to learn the poses and submit your post for the Graham!
if you love these posts and want to see more, please subscribe!